Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Subcutaneous Modesty

So, in truth, I've never blogged before. A blogging virgin.

Hopefully, you won't notice.

I'm in the midst of preparing myself, more mentally than physically, for a 2-month trip to Africa. I'd share the full itinerary, but it would take a really long time and, in truth, you wouldn't have a great incentive to check back in and find out where our adventures have taken us. In short, we'll be travelling from South Africa on to 6 other African countries, and then finally to the Maldives. We'll be on safari and on camels and on the beach. And in the middle, we'll be volunteering.

Oh, "us" is me and my best friend Sanjay. We own a consulting firm together -
Funken Consulting.

For the worriwarts among you, fear not. I'm entirel
y prepared. I'm vaccinated against Yellow Fever, Typhoid and Hepatitis - I have malaria and altitude sickness drugs, and every over-the-counter pharmaceutical known in the western hemisphere. In my entire life (of 32 years) , I've probably taken 10 tylenol, but for some reason I believe I need to have my own personal pharmacy for this trip.

Right now, my biggest challenge is fitting 2 months worth of clothes and supplies for a Kiliminjaro hike into a 25-pound backpack, and fitting 2 months worth of cosmetics, insect repellant and sunscreen into a quart-size ziploc bag (can someone explain this stupid requirement to me?). That, and finding long skirts for my trip that showcase my normally subcutaneous modesty.

But worst of all is saying goodbye to my real best friend - Millicent the Magnificent. That truly
sucks.

2 comments:

Dan McCall said...

Good luck! If there's anyone I know capable of surviving on safari in Africa it's you guys...

Anonymous said...

Have a great time and I will view this every day